The history of the establishment of the museum beginns more than 100 years ago. On the 4th of January 1900, a few intellectuals from Suceava founded the Society ”Museum” with the purpose of maintenance and capitalization of the historical relics of the city for the public. This initiative appeared when, at the Princely Fortress of Suceava, cleaning operations of the ruins were carried out under the guidance of the architect Karl A. Romstorfer. On this occasion plenty of medieval objects were discovered. The wish for the discovered pieces to remain in Suceava determined the teacher Iosif Fleişer to propose the opening of a museum in Suceava, as branch of the Cernăuți museum.